Saturday, November 28, 2009

EVERYTHING HAPPENED SO FAST

I was picked up from the airport by Peace Corps Staff who helped me get my temporary visa and then took me to the Peace Corps office for my first three vaccinations. Then I was driven from the capital, Maputo, to my training site in Namaacha, an hour and a half away, where I was dropped off at the home of my host family. Usually there is a transition period of about a week where you have a staging in the states and then stay at a hotel for a few days in country but because I was joining the group a week late, all that hand-holding was bypassed. I am glad too because everything was so exciting. Looking back it seems so surreal. Like it was all a dream. I spoke no Portuguese (nothing!) and knew nothing about Mozambican culture or life. But when I went to bed that night I felt so comfortable and knew that I was going to love living in Mozambique.

No comments: